Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
DMS Media Ltd (the Company) is committed to ensuring its workplace is fair and equal. Equality, diversity and inclusion are core values and at the heart of future policy development. We promise:
- That individuals who contact DMS Media are treated with respect.
- That opportunities are available on a non-discriminatory basis.
- To provide a supportive and welcoming environment for staff and visitors.
The Company seeks to be inclusive and accessible. Through its policies and actions it aims to integrate the principle of equal treatment into all aspects of its day-to-day business.
Defining equality, diversity and inclusion
Equal treatment involves much more than simply treating everyone alike; it requires a recognition that some groups and individuals have particular and specific needs that need to be met if they are to enjoy equal access to the services offered by the Company.
We recognise that the Company may need to provide its services in a range of different or more flexible ways, in order to ensure genuine equality of access or opportunity for groups and individuals who approach those services from a position of persistent and longstanding disadvantage.
Valuing diversity involves an acknowledgement of the benefits and intrinsic worth derived from the range of difference within our community, and fostering it as a strength. We aim to celebrate and to value the differences between individuals’ cultural, social and intellectual contribution to the Company and will seek to promote greater mutual understanding between groups and individuals who reflect these differences, and will seek to utilise the talents and experiences that each and every individual can bring to the Company.
Inclusion involves the Company and its staff in designing and operating flexible services, practices and procedures that take appropriate account of the needs of both staff, clients and visitors.
The Company endorses wholeheartedly the principles of the Equality Act 2010 and is committed to the positive promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion amongst all employees of the Company, as well as its contributors. To achieve this the Company will:
- Ensure that no unlawful discrimination occurs in the conduct of the Company’s work;
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share the ‘protected characteristics’ that are listed below, and all other staff of and contributors to the Company;
- Foster positive relations between people who share the ‘protected characteristics’ and those who do not.
The Company will give protection against unfair discrimination on the grounds of:
- Ethnicity (including race, colour and nationality)
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage or civil partnership
- Pregnancy or maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
The Company recognises that equality issues are complex, and that it has responsibilities to others, including, but not limited to, people with caring responsibilities and students who are leaving local authority care.
The Company is a functionally diverse organisation operating in a local, national and international context. We expect all staff, contributors, partners and contractors to behave in accordance with this policy and to have regard for the Company’s values.
The principles of equality, diversity and inclusion apply to the way in which staff and contributors should treat each other, and to all visitors, contractors, sub-contractors, service providers, suppliers, former staff and any other persons associated with the functions of the Company. However, it is acknowledged that some of the international contexts in which the Company operates may place restrictions on the extent to which this policy can govern the practices of partners and contractors.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Company and its Managers will:
- Ensure that the aims and the values embodied in this policy statement are appropriately reflected in all job descriptions, person specifications and annual personal development reviews
- Have due regard to equality issues in all decision-making
- Investigate whether any groups, including people with ’protected characteristics’, have particular needs in relation to accessing services
- Ensure that due consideration is given to equality, diversity and inclusion within their own sphere of influence
- Promote an environment where respect is shown to all, and mutual understanding is fostered
- Challenge any actions or behaviour which is in conflict with the values and principles laid down in this policy
- Ensure staff and contributors know how to report any instances of discrimination, bullying and harassment without fear of victimisation
- Deal with complaints fairly, thoroughly, quickly and confidentially
All Staff and Contributors of the Company will:
- Ensure understanding of this policy and seek guidance if there are any questions
- Promote equality, diversity and inclusion for others and strive to create a safe supportive and welcoming environment
- Challenge inappropriate behaviour or discrimination
- Report unacceptable behaviour in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures.
- All visitors to the Company, together with those contracted to work at, or for, the Company will be expected to comply with this policy whilst on Company premises or in their execution of Company business
The Company will use and draw upon research and advice undertaken by Acas in the development and review of its Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Statement.
Review and Update Arrangements
The policy will be reviewed regularly and may also be amended from time to time to reflect and take account of changes in legislation and best practice.